Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Need Help Finishing A Project? 3 Ways To Go Get It Done Now!

These last few days were some of the busiest  I've ever had in my life.  I wish that was an exaggeration.  I found myself up against several deadlines, which help me greatly, but also frustrate me to no end. Deadlines definitely help me focus and get things accomplished, but, all the while, they also stress me out.  What about you - do you enjoy deadlines?  

Have you ever been up against a deadline, unable to find the inspiration to complete a project on time?  Ever watched the second hand on a clock, slowly counting down the minutes and seconds until you are expected to be finished? I tend to find myself in these situations from time to time. Here are three quick ideas that have helped me in the past, and might work well for you.

  1. Stop what you are doing and just walk away.  Take a break and turn your brain off.  When I am up at my office at church, and need time to clear my mind, I take a walk around the border of the six acres surrounding our building (thanks to the RunKeeper app on my Droid, I know each lap is .33 miles).  
  2. Take a few minutes away from what you are working on to focus on something not related to your current task.  For example, if you are creating art, stop and spend a few minutes completing a sudoku. Watch a 22 minute tv sitcom on DVD or via Netflix (I particularly enjoy Seinfeld re-runs). 
  3. Seek counsel from others, even if y ou think they can help you on your current project or not. Speak with someone about what's on their mind, not about you and your world only. Sometimes you will find that extra spark of inspiration in the most unlikely places.        
What about you? What do you do to get unstuck and finish up what you are working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment