Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Can Canadian Geese Can Teach Us About The Devil?

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

How many of you out there have someone watching your back?  Do you have someone close to you that has your best interest in mind and willing to protect you at all cost?

I am earnestly attempting to lose some weight.  Are you in the same boat?  I’ve been walking/jogging in a couple of neighborhoods near my house via a back and forth route.  I’ve written about this journey before over here.  This, along with eating better foods, and less of them, has helped me drop over 20 pounds.

There’s a part of my exercise regime that absolutely freaks me out.  A bit over the halfway point, I pass a community pond that’s adjacent to the road.  It’s a lovely place, with people fishing from time to time.  And maybe a fountain.  I’m not sure if there is actually a fountain because it’s here where I come face to face with fear.

At any given time, there are upwards of 70+ Canadian geese milling around the grassy areas around this pond.  From a distance, they aren’t a big deal, or even a threat.  Up close, though, I get the sense that they could snap at any moment and attack me.  Seriously!  The worst is when they are in the middle of crossing the road, and I have to run through this gaggle of geese.  So far so good – I’ve yet to be attacked.

One of these days though I know they aren’t going to let me pass, maybe in retaliation for some injustices we as humans have perpetrated against these foul creatures.

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

I’ve noticed that as I approach the flock, there are always a few of them keeping their beady little eyes on me.  They are sounding a mild alarm about my approach, intensifying the closer I get to them.  Even in smaller numbers, there are still a few that are ever vigilant, protecting the rest of their families and friends.

1 Peter 5:8-9 says the following - Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.  Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.

There are times when we create the trouble in our lives.  We make foolish decisions, hang out with the wrong people, or just act without thinking.

There are other times where trouble seeks us out.  In instances like this, Paul shares with us in Ephesians 6 that we must put on the whole armor of God to withstand the devil’s attacks.  We must be proactive in preparing for the attacks coming from Satan. 

He doesn’t only come after you, or me.  He comes after all of us.  It’s imperative for each of us to be watchful and prepared to defend ourselves, and others, from the attacks from the evil one.

Interesting bit of trivia – a gaggle is a group of geese on the ground.  What are they referred to in the air?

No comments:

Post a Comment