Sunday, December 12, 2010

Who or what makes you say OMG?

This last week of work was probably the most frustrating/draining/overwhelming week I've ever encountered in my adult work life.  My current employer was purchased by a competitor, and they are completely changing the way we do business.  We're moving from a Windows-based computer system to a DOS-based system from the dark ages.  What use to take 8 steps now takes 13, and in those extra steps my office will be responsible for the destruction of several acres of trees each week in paper wasted.  My comfortable 8 hour workday became a hectic12+ hour workday.

In all of that, though, I somehow survived.  In fact, outside of work, I actually had a wonderful week.  The Lord graciously knew I would be unavailable and took away my teaching commitments for the week before I even knew His plan.  My time with Him was refreshing and rewarding.  I had the chance to share Jesus with several people who may or may not have a relationship with Him.  While at home, the time my wife and I had together was most enjoyable.

I spent a bit over an hour driving to Raleigh each day for training.  In my drive I had some wonderful chats with God, and listened to some great tunes.  I spent quite a bit of time worshipping through the Jars of Clay's album Good Monsters (one of the greatest album's ever imho).  I love love love the song "Oh My God," and probably listened to it 25 times during the past week.  Watch this video to hear and see what they are sharing with us.




In an interview on www.familychristian.com, the band expressed the following:
"OMG is a mediation on the reality of the power of this phrase.  All the different ways it is uttered. It is so universal, I dare say that these words from from the lips of every man whether he is cursing God or praising him, gasping in horror or in joy.  It is a meditation on all the reasons that a man might cry out 'Oh My God' and the end is left silent so that we might hear whether or not Gos is going to answer."

I had a choice - to thank Him or to curse Him. I could praise Him for all that He has done and is doing, or I could choose to say woe is me.   Did I always do what was right?  Sadly, no.  But overall, and in the end, He is gracious enough to bless me beyond what I deserve.  Why not just suck it up and do what I'm getting paid to do anyways?
  
"Oh my God, can I complain?  You take away my firm belief and graft my soul upon your grief."  

What about you?  When you say "Oh My God," what do you mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment