Saturday, July 2, 2011

31 DAYS TO A WISER YOU: Proverbs Chapter 2

Photo courtesy of Sierraromeo
Review
This is part of a series, studying the book of Proverbs during the month of July, 2011. For more details click here.


Theme
What strikes me so clearly as I study the book of Proverbs is that there are no contradictions contained within the 31 chapters.  Each and every line of Scripture points to an overwhelming and constant theme - the LORD is wisdom, and He shares it with us if we ask Him.

Think of the numerous contradictions we have as humans.  You'll hear someone say "The bigger the better," and then two minutes later, that same person will proclaim that "The best gifts come in small packages."  But Solomon's book contains no such errors in thought, because it was God inspired.  Each little tidbit points to living a life pleasing and satisfying to our heavenly Father.

It is our responsibility to search for wisdom and understanding.  

Key Verses to Me
Proverbs 2:5-6 - Then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Quote
In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool. ~ Lord Chesterfield


Related Scripture
James 1:5 - If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you.  He will not rebuke you for asking.


Prayer
Father, I ask You to impart Your wisdom to me, so that I can be a better example of what a Christian should be, and be a better servant for your Kingdom.


So what verse(s) stick out to you and why?

6 comments:

  1. I love verse 21, which speaks to me like this; The Upright have no need to be Uptight! What a great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verse 9 spoke to me this morning...
    "Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go."
    At first, I thought of the college students we love so much, and where so many of them are now in their lives - trying to figure out jobs and spouses and future plans. But I was reminded that it applies to me so much as well.... The "right way to go" doesn't necessarily mean just what path I'm supposed to take in life. It means what path I take EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verse 7-He gives a treasure of common sense. Using common sense given by God will make you wise in most cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may sound kind of dark, but I have always appreciated how Proverbs speaks about adultery. It is often not only equated with being unwise, but it is equated with death. There's many reasons for that, not the least being the destruction it can cause. No one is perfect, but using this metaphor or allegory God is saying from the beginning how "deathly" serious that action is. I wish people could grasp the seriousness before they commit the action, or else maybe they never would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V. 3-6 are really screamin this morning! "Cry out for insight and ask for understanding." "Cry" is a verb, an ACTION word. Webster's definition: "to utter loudly; to shout, to prolaim publicly; advertise, to shed tears often noisily; to utter a characteristic sound; to require or strongly suggest a remedy; to express vain regrets for what cannot be undone." Wow! So what I glean from this verse is that I should swallow my pride, confess that I do not have the answers, nor the control publicly and ask for God to impart His wisdom and understanding....because I do not have the answers to anything in my life (after all, He created me and has already mapped my every step), and my will isn't His will.

    Then in v. 4 He says to SEARCH. What if I searched for wisdom like I searched for a new clothes, or a new piece of artwork to hang on the wall? What if I spent time SEEKING God's wisdom like I do seeking for my house to be impeccably clean (which is a perpetual task, futile, actually, with 3 small kids). If I search for God's wisdom like I do for things that don't really matter, then I am promised in v. 5 that I WILL understand and gain knowledge of God. That is truly exciting to me!! Especially since v. 6 brings home the fact that the Lord grants wisdom! Not maybe, perhaps, or might... He does! So if I earnestly seek, He will be faithful to grant. Simple enough! I better get to my searching..... I've got 3 3/4 little girls at home that will need their momma's wisdom soon, and I am a far cry from where I need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proverbs 2:21-22 "For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it." Wow! In this chapter God is giving us instruction on how to avoid wicked, immoral ways. To become wise is to search the wisdom He has given us on this subject. We must study His word. Wickedness permeates the globe. We see it, hear it and know those who are. It is a disgusting occurrence of ways that continue on. The wicked will be caught up in the hidden danger (satin) who will capture and hold men who delight in his evil. They have no idea what God has planned for them. He will destroy them in a mighty way. But, the upright will live in the land. God will have the righteous live in peace and pleasantness. We shall know no more evil. Deuteronomy 28:63 is very discerning to me also. "Just as it pleased the Lord to make you prosper and increase in number, so it will please him to ruin and destroy you. You will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess." We need to use our discernment along with God's instructions to acknowlege what is morally right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete