Saturday, July 30, 2011

31 DAYS TO A WISER YOU: Proverbs Chapter 30

Photo Courtesy of marcomagrini


Review
This is part of a series, studying the book of Proverbs during the month of July, 2011. For more details click here.

Theme
I love how we really have no idea who Agur is, but yet we can relate so easily to what he's sharing with us in this chapter.  He's weary. He's worn out. He's struggling with his relationship with God.  Yet in it all, he acknowledges that every word from God is true, and therein lies his confidence.  The part I enjoy most is verses 7-9, where he begs God for two things - to be honest in all he says and does, and to be content.  Which of these two requests feels easier to achieve in your life, my friend?

Imagine for a moment being the person who everyone recognizes as the most truthful person that they know.  Whether it be an encouraging word, a whisper of kindness, or a phrase of painful honesty - regardless the circumstance, you always hold to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  How different would that look in comparison to the person you are right now?

But what about contentment?  Are you really content with your life right now?  The world promises you that the next biggest thing is right around the corner.  You are told to need, want, desire, and crave everything, and  that you just can't live without the next brightest, newest thing.  All you have to do is go get yours!  Why suffer with last year's model when you can have next year's model today?

Here's the key: what do you need - absolutely need - and what do you just want?  Try this - take a step back - pause - and evaluate what's truly going on in your life.  Ask input from trusted friends and family.

And back to honesty - do you want people to always be honest with you?  Share the truth - and only the truth.  It's contagious.

Key Verses For Me
Proverbs 30:7-9
O God, I beg two favors from you,
Let me have them before I die.
First, help me to never tell a lie.
Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!
Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
For if I grow rich,
I may deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?"
And if I am too poor, 
I may steal and thus insult God's holy name.

Quote
Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. - Epicurus

Related Scripture
1 Timothy 6:6-8 - Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.  After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it.  So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.

Prayer

O God, I beg two favors from you,
Let me have them before I die.
First, help me to never tell a lie.
Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!
Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
  
So what verse(s) stick out to you and why?

1 comment:

  1. Verse 7-9
    I pray that I never have to much or too little that I completely forget Jesus. Too much makes us proud thinking we need nothing else. Too little encourages stealing because it can't be obtained monetarily. We are lying to ourselves and degrading Jesus. Everything was given by Him to those who have and those that don't have He will provide for. These types of people will be doomed in His eyes never to see Heaven. People of little faith will never know the glory that awaits them. They live for their own gain. Lord, keeping my heart filled with Your word, my prayer is to gain your favor in order to receive your glory. Hold my hand and keep me from straying.

    ReplyDelete