Friday, July 29, 2011

31 DAYS TO A WISER YOU: Proverbs Chapter 29

Photo Courtesy of crypto


Review
This is part of a series, studying the book of Proverbs during the month of July, 2011. For more details click here.

Theme
A fair amount of discussion in this chapter is centered around discipline.  Whether he's referring to disciplining a child, or correcting an adult, the message from Solomon is the same - correction is a necessity at all ages of our lives.  Here's the rundown of what strikes me from Chapter 29-

  1. Verse   1 - If you don't accept criticism, you will be destroyed.
  2. Verse 15 - Disciplining a child produces wisdom, while the lack thereof brings disgrace on the family.
  3. Verse 17 - Disciplining will produce peace of mind and happiness in a parent's life.
  4. Verse 18 - Want a joyful life?  Obey what you know is correct.
  5. Verse 19 - Discipline involves more than just words - it requires actions, a commitment, and love.
I am living proof that disciplining a child will not destroy them, if done in the proper way. Considering how many times I was spanked and otherwise reprimanded, I cannot think of a time when my parents ever acted out of anger - they always acted out of love.  My improper actions were clearly explained to me, and the consequences were laid out just sa clearly.  Did I enjoy it?  No.  Did I respect it?  Maybe not always, but it was nice to know my parents cared for me. And I certainly respect them more for it.    

Unfortunately the correction didn't cease to be necessary as I became an adult.  Even now, I need people around me who are willing to speak truth in to my life.  I am fortunate that I have a wife and friends willing to call me out when necessary.  It makes me a better person, and it strengthens our relationship.

Who do you have in your life that loves you enough to correct you?  

Key Verses For Me
Proverbs 29:1 - Whoever stubbornly refuses to accept criticism will suddenly be destroyed beyond recovery.

Quote
The correction of silence is what kills; when you know you have transgressed, and your friend says nothing, and avoids your eye. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Related Scriptures
Hebrews 12:10-11 - For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God’s discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness.  No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.

Prayer
Lord, thank You for loving me so much that you still correct me.  I pray that as time goes on I will require less correction: still, I do want to thank you for all the love You show me.  May I never take Your affection for granted, and may I be a shining testimony of a life forever changed by grace.  

So what verse(s) stick out to you and why?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. Verse 11:
    Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back.

    I admit that I have a bit of a temper... It's not always easy to bite my tongue, but with God's help, I am getting better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verse 15 "The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother."
    Spankings growing up hurt, but they made me think twice about doing something else wrong. I must say I deserved them all. The youth of today amazes me! I could certainly expound on that subject, but I think we all realize it. Children can simply drive their parents crazy. It doesn't need to be that way. It is ok to spank a child as long as it is done in love with the understanding that it imparts wisdom in them to keep them from harm. How else will a child learn if the parent doesn't teach them. There is no perfect child! A parents life would be so much easier and orderly when their children understand the rules of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete