Sunday, July 10, 2011

31 DAYS TO A WISER YOU: Proverbs Chapter 10

Photo Courtesy of mezzoblue


Review
This is part of a series, studying the book of Proverbs during the month of July, 2011. For more details click here.

Theme
One of the study Bibles that I am utilizing during this endeavor breaks down Proverbs into 3 main sections.  They are -

  1. Wisdom for young people (1:1-9:18)
  2. Wisdom for all people (10:1-24:34)
  3. Wisdom for the leaders (25:1-31:31)
As we begin this second section, the structure of each verse changes shape.  For chapters 11-15, most of the verses are polar opposites, with the second line almost always starting with the word "but."  These five chapters focus on contrasting the wise versus the foolish.  Good versus evil.  Right versus wrong.  This is the world's constant battle until it's settled once and for all as described in the book of Revelation.


In one of my former roles, I was a professional headhunter, recruiting commercial lenders, private bankers, and other high-profile financial individuals.  One of the basics of trying to convince someone to leave their current company and pursue my opportunity was utilizing the FAB principle.  FAB stood for -
  • Features - the basic description of the job opportunity that was available, the company the candidate would work for, and the benefits that were probably similar to where the potential candidate currently was employed.
  • Attributes - this is what made this opportunity better than the candidate's current role.  Was my client more aggressive in loan approvals? Did they have a better back office support? Did they have a better reputation in the community and thus more open doors?
  • Benefits - with my client, a potential candidate could make more money (a more aggressive lending institution with uncapped commissions equals a bigger paycheck), they might have the opportunity to move up in an organization, or at least a culture that enabled professional growth.  The company might just be a better work environment altogether.
It was always the benefits that sold the candidate on exploring the opening I was presenting to them.  And here in Proverbs, Solomon now begins to share with us the benefits of living a clean life.  He profiles the shortfalls of a wrong decision, and then shares the benefits of the right decision, hopefully making our thought process easier in regards to choosing the right thing to do.  Here's just a few of these simple observations -
   
Wanna get rich?  Work hard (vs 4)
Wanna leave a lasting legacy?  Live a Godly life (vs 7)
Want peace?  Live a life of love (vs 12) 
Want a better life?  Be smart with whatever money you earn (vs 16)
Wanna stay out of trouble?  Talk less (vs 19)
Want an enjoyable life?  Do what you know is correct (vs 23)
Wanna smile in hard times?  Make God your foundation (vs 25)

Key Verse For Me
Proverbs 10:32 - The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words.

Quote
Flatter me, and I may not believe you.  Criticize me, and I may not like you.  Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.  Encourage me, and I may not forget you.  Love me, and I may be forced to love you. ~ William Arthur Ward

Related Scriptures
1 Thessalonians 5:10-11 - Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when He returns, we can live with him forever.  So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.

Prayer
Lord, use me to be a blessing to others around me, so that they see You in my life.  Help me be a source of encouragement to those who around me.    

So what verse(s) stick out to you and why?

2 comments:

  1. Verse 20 "The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value."
    If you want the right advice, the kind that can help you, look for it in someone who has grasped Godly wisdom and understanding. The wicked one will tell you only what you want to hear. So "there you go" gaining no knowledge and still stuck with no answers. Seek the wise to gain answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely tell so much about a person by the advice they give. Thanks Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete